I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Monday, April 04, 2005

A little morbid now.

Okay. Yes. Very sad that the Pope died, in that he did a lot of nice things for humanity. His death may allow the Catholic Church to become a bit more progressive with the election of (hopefully) a more progressive new Pope. La la la.

Why isn't this man buried already?! They're waiting like a WEEK to bury him?! Gross. When Jews die, you've got at most 48 hours to haul your sorry ass up the East Coast, and be at Schlossberg & Sons Funeral Chapel, or else you're missed the boat. As I look at the pictures and watch the movies, I'm struck by one thought - isn't it unsanitary for them to be dragging this corpse around? In the first salon, then outside through St. Peter's Square, then into the Basilica... It seems medieval to have him on a stretcher...

Pick him up, put him down, pick him up, put him down. I wouldn't even be nearly as grossed out if he was in a closed coffin...I guess maybe even if he was in a closed glass coffin, but laying him out on a bier and displaying him like a china plate is a little skeevy to me. Dead people leak things. Icky things. Embalming fluid. Other fluids.

I know people want to pay their respects, but I've never been a proponent of open casket funerals anyway - no one ever looks like they did when they were alive. I think the Jews have it right - remember the person as they were when they were alive, and not a sunken, overly powdered ghoul.

He's been dead for a few days now. I wonder if he'll start to smell by the time the funeral stars on Friday. Morbid? Yes. But still... I certainly wouldn't want to be in the same room as a week-dead body.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Do you remember that hilarious State sketch set in an Italian restaurant when the Pope was coming to visit? And the waiters and owners kept spilling things like red wine and crude oil and they kept saying "Oh No! And the Pope-ah is ah-comin'!"

And then the Pope comes and he gets sprayed by a hose filled with grape juice and the Pope says "A-that's a-ok!"

That sketch was hilarious.

5:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home