I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Monday, July 04, 2005

My friend Tom.

When I was in 10th grade, this new guy, who was a year older than me, enrolled in my high school. His name is Tom. We became friends. I see him quite infrequently now, because he has moved to NYC, and I never get to go anywhere, because becoming a lawyer is like having a ball and chain attached to one's leg, and I can never leave this hellhole called "Florida."

Anyhoo, Tom has attained God-like stature in my eyes. He's also real nice.

Tom has his own website now. Tom also has a new comic coming out. Like... a real comic. A book that you'll be able to buy in stores.

Here's the link to his site.

I highly recommend that you go. I don't even LIKE comics, but I've always loved Tom's illustrations, and if I like them, they have to be good, because everyone knows I don't like anything. Tom once drew me in cartoon form. It was fucking awesome. I scanned it, and if I can find it anywhere, I'll post it someday.

On his site, the stuff I particularly love are his Edward Gorey-esque drawings under the "Illustrations" heading, "Black and White." They seem to be from a comic called, "Really Rather Not Nice Things." I detect hints of "The Hapless Child," and "Gashlycrumb Tinies" in the works. And then I think of Tom, as one of the characters in "Gorey Stories," which I stage managed in 11th grade, saying, "My dear little Charlotte Sophia!" and then getting killed in Africa. About three people reading this blog will know what I'm talking about. That's okay. I will never understand how Tom is able to draw...such straight lines and such organized, detailed clutter. But then again, I'll also never understand math. I like Tom's work WAY better than math, though.

Below is an email that Tom sent us letting us know how and where to find his stuff. I'm not entirely sure what it means, because I can't really comprehend anything anymore if it doesn't fall within some area of the law, but that's okay. I'm immensely proud of Tom, and wanted to kvell the news of his talent and his increasing success to everyone who reads this blog.

"I've just finished illustrating the final issue of a comic book miniseries
from Viper Comics that comes out July 20th. The comic is three issues
(available at your local comic shops), and it's monthly, so the final issue
will be out in September, followed shortly thereafter by a trade paperback
collection of the entire miniseries. You can find information on
pre-ordering the issues at www.karmaincorporated.com. Pre-ordering is our
best gauge for interest, so your support is appreciated, but if you can't
pre-order try to pick up the individual issues or just wait until November
and pick up the TPB which will be available in comic shops, the Viper
Comics online store (www.vipercomics.com), and both the Amazon and Barnes & Noble
sites. Check out the Karma and Viper sites for news, interviews, and
teasers, or stop by the forums for a visit. While you're at it I've got a
new website, showcasing my illustration work, that you can wander around --
www.tomkurzanski.com -- created with the help of fellow FSU film alumnus
Justin Downing.

I'll be at the San Diego Comic Con in July and Wizard World Chicago in
August to promote the book with signings in NYC throughout the run, so if
you're in the area, stop by and say hi. Thanks for your support, guys -- I
appreciate it."

So, that's our Tom. Signing books. Giving autographs. Probably being entirely too self-effacing and modest despite the fact that anyone who's ever met him, walks away in awe of his talent and humor, knowing that they've just met someone who is absolutely destined for great things.

But don't ask him for his piece of cornbread if you're out at dinner. Tom won't give it to you. No matter how hard you beg and plead.

1 Comments:

Blogger Derek Ash said...

Was googling Tom and found this. "Really Rather Not Nice Things" is actually a collection of ghastly, poems aimed at children to help them stay awake all night. We are currently seeking out a publisher.

Anywhoo. Thought I'd throw that out there.

2:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home