I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

On being Head-Hunted.

I got a call at my office yesterday (Yes, ugh. My OFFICE.) From a headhunter. At first I was dismissive and told her I was very happy where I am.

And then I thought about it. And then I emailed her back.

And now I'm waiting to hear back from her. It would be with a small downtown outpost of a LARGE firm. I would be doing commercial litigation. They're looking for a 1st year associate in the top 10-15% of their class.

That's... me!

Will keep you posted. Out of loyalty I don't even want to consider it. But, then again, there is the 35K bump in yearly salary. I just wonder how much of my hide they'll want for that extra bump... And I wonder whether leaving my current job would make me a bad person. And I wonder whether I'll find the grass much browner on the other side... I know that leaving my current spot would be giving up a good thing...

Choices.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've been at your firm now for about 1 year, right? i think you should stay for at least 1 more year (unless you decide to move to md and in that case, you should leave your current firm asap..he he he). anyway, i think most people stay at their firms for at least 2 years before moving. that's what my friends have done (they have worked in nyc, dc, va, md, nj & tx). headhunters will always be around. i have a friend who is leaving her medium sized nyc firm this week (she was head hunted too) and she's been at her firm for 2 years. her father is a partner at a biglaw firm in nyc and i believe he encouraged her to stick it out for at least 2 years before moving. if you're happy where you are, stick around. who knows, maybe next year, you'll get an even better offer from a headhunter. that's my 2 cents. and btw...what happened with moving to md?

9:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If by "downtown", they mean Los Angeles, I say TAKE IT!

4:55 PM

 
Blogger Rootietoot said...

I agree with anonymous, have at least 2 years under your belt first. Any less and people will think you can't commit. At least, that's what SD thinks when he's hiring professionals.

12:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home