I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

An Ode to Le Sandwicherie:

Between Washington and Collins on 14th is a lunchcounter.

Really, it's simply a lunch counter running along a filthy alleyway, across from Mac's Club Deuce. There's a gas station on the other side of the alleyway, and Taco San Loco, guaranteed to have you spraying fire out your rear in 30 minutes or less, or your next meal is free, on the other.

Le Sandwicherie has had to lock their bathroom, because of the filthy, filthy bums that inhabit the area. (The alley.)

(If you're ever struck by the Beauty of South Beach [which you shouldn't be, because it's a pretty awful looking place, if you ask me...] you should stroll down the piss-and-hot-trash reeking alleys between Ocean and Collins and Washington... it'll fix you of that particular delusion.)

Le Sandwicherie is a lunch counter, but it makes one of the best sandwiches in Miami. Besides that one particular Deli on Key Biscayne that made a pretty kick ass sandwich too, but I'm digressing...

They serve Orangina and by day their sandwiches are just fine, but after a night of drinking, a turkey breast sandwich with cornichons, camembert, blood red tomatoes, olives, and their signature vinegrette dressing on a crusty baguette, is less a sandwich, and more a religious experience.

Any beach local (which I am allowed to call myself, and will soon be again calling myself) knows of certain places on the beach that we don't advertise to the Tourists who come down. We don't tell them about Joe Allen. We don't tell them about Pita Loca. We don't tell them about Wet Willie's Nachos, or the IceBox's brunch, and we don't tell them about Le Sandwicherie. We keep "The Room" a secret, we're glad Lime is on the wrong side of the Beach, we don't let on about the Argentinian Bakery on Lincoln between Alton and West, and we don't tell them about Le Sandwicherie. Or Gino's Pizza. And I, for one, will never let on about A La Folie.

But.

If you're in the area, and you're drunk. And you will be, because 14th and Washington is the center of South Beach, you should first go to Mac's Club Deuce, to make sure you're really loaded. The friendly old blonde broad behind the Counter will make you a drink in a glass that's been behind that bar for sixty years. It won't be good, and the tonic will be sort of flat, but that's okay. The Deuce is the Grande Dame of Beach Drinkery, where happy hour starts at 8 a.m. When you're done, amble out and stumble across the street, veering right. You should fall into Le Sandwicherie.

Get a Turkey Camembert. Or a saucison sec. On baguette. With vinegrette.

Close your eyes. And you'll see the face of God.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rootietoot said...

That sandwich sounds...wow. My mouth is watering. I believe it might be worth the trip.

Ok, so if South Beach is so nasty, why is it always shown to be so Hip and Fabulous and stuff? A good PR firm? I was in Miami 25 years ago, and loved it (except for the greasy guy who kept trying to get into my hotel room), but maybe it's changed.

I think *my* town should be The New Place to See and Be Seen. After all, we have tractor pulls.

4:53 AM

 
Blogger Hulles said...

Very very nicely written. I liked this entry a lot. And I hope someday I can see the places you describe myself. Well, except for the alley, seen lots of those already. Thanks for the post.

1:56 PM

 
Blogger SuperBee said...

I wrote you both very nice comments...

and then they were destroyed by stupid Blogger.

And now I don't remember them.

So, suffice it to say, c'mon down and I'll feed you both a sandwich.

6:37 AM

 
Blogger Maria de los Angeles said...

Written like a true local!

1:02 PM

 
Anonymous Tara said...

http://www.beintheheights.com/taraharris

the heat is on and I need an edge! Please vote for me to win the Miami showing of
In The Heights tickets. Sorry for being annoying, but I'm doing quite well and
need to keep up the momentum :) A vote for me is a vote for MUSIC! That was corny,
but you know what I'm going for right? xxoo!

5:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home