I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A/C and Knishes.

My air got fixed today. I nailed what the problem was. $230 bucks later, I have cold air again. Hooray.

I had a realization today: I've never actually had a good potato knish.

I went to Arnie & Ritchie's Deli tonight to grab a pastrami on rye and a knish (I'm not keeping Pesach... shoot me) because I was feeling sad about the Rascal House's demise.

The people inside Arnie & Ritchies were lovely. Warm, attentive. I loved it.

The interior has been too recently redone (feh!) and their menu didn't have a ton of the ethnic stuff I like (Kishkie?!) and had stuff I hate (herring!) but I'll probably go back... still, it doesn't take the place of Rascal House.

Anyhoozle - I got a knish. From the deli case. Has anyone had a freshly made knish? I have these memories (or fantasies?) about knishes, where they're warm, and small, and fluffy and two-bite size, and not full of chalky day-old mashed potato, wrapped in soggy, microwaved pastry.

I feel like when I was younger, I used to eat them at my grandmother's house, or at Bar Mitzvahs, or... well hell, I don't know where. I mean, if I did, I wouldn't be having this stream-of-consciousness ramble.

But try and try, and try as I might, I can never get a knish that matches what I remember them tasting like.

They're always scorchingly hot in places, and cold in others, with mealy insides and floppy outsides. Disappointing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rootietoot said...

Congrats on the A/C, and the Not Too Bad price for the fix. I have never had a knish, but I have had cockaphooey.

4:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever you do, don't ever order a knish from Ben's deli in Boca. You will be disappointed. I am always forced to eat them because what the hell else does a vegetarian eat at a kosher deli on Christmas eve? I keep telling my dad Im not going there anymore...it never works out. He's obsessed with pastrami on rye.

8:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be careful of those "meat" knishes. You never know what you're going to get.

www.savetheknish.org

6:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey knish lovers out there. I went to the savetheknish.org site and decided never to eat a meat knish. I did not they even made meat knishes. I only get the potato ones from Strathmore in Boca...

6:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home