I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Re: Casey Anthony.

Thoughts: Shocking verdict. Unexpected verdict.

But good for the Jury, which is supposed to be an impartial trier of fact and keep in mind that a Defendant is innocent until proven guilty by the State "beyond a reasonable doubt."

My reaction was "GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY!" and if I was a juror, I don't know that I would have been able to acquit her, and I would probably have fought for a conviction even though there wasn't enough evidence.

But I would have been wrong.

Those jurors had a really hard task, and they did what they were supposed to do - because our system is based on the principle that it's better to let a guilty person go free, than to incarcerate an innocent person.

Good job, Jury.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed!

11:20 AM

 
Blogger Rootietoot said...

I have several attorney friends,and they agree with you. It could not have been an easy decision for the jurors. I hate the way our media/culture loves to convict someone, then gets pissy when the jury disagrees. I mean, even if she were wrongly aquitted, it's unlikely she's a serial killer and prone to run right out and do it again. that's how I see it, anyway.

4:50 AM

 
Blogger Colin said...

I'm really troubled by the argument that she's not likely to do it again. If Casey Anthony killed her daughter, she deserves to be punished severely for it. The lesson to be learned in my opinion is that, if you're inclined toward this sort of thing, make sure you hide the body really well so that it isn't found until long after the physical evidence is destroyed by decomposition, and also make sure the crime is so heinous that no juror wants to believe you're capable of such barbarism. Then you go and become a millionaire!

9:47 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home