I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Saturday, November 18, 2006

You should see...

Current "ardently recommended movie" is: The Grapes of Wrath, 1938 version.

Once you get past the 1930s-style acting... and realize that the movie is contemporaneous with the time of the book... it's pretty amazing to see the Joads when the Joads existed... the scenery really does it for me.

Also... the acting is surprisingly good and, at times, surprisingly subtle, but conveys a LOT. There's a lot of really good non-verbal character development.

I recommend Netflixing it. Yeah, it's a classic movie, so what? They're good for you, AND they're entertaining, without the "commitment" of reading a book. If you watch a classic movie, in my mind, you get credit for reading 75% of a book. Two classic movies is like a classic book and a half.

5 Comments:

Blogger JB said...

Just curious-- how did they end the movie? I found the end of that book both surprising and somewhat horrifying...

10:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the movie had a happy ending, the book didn't--and it's kind of a slap in the face to Steinbeck's overall theme of the book. go watch "of mice and men" next with sinese and malkovich. it's one of my favorites.

8:43 AM

 
Blogger SuperBee said...

The movie has a happy ending...ish.

I didn't really like "Of Mice and Men..."

12:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it doesn't like you either!

7:28 AM

 
Blogger SuperBee said...

Well, fine then!

7:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home