I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Burger & Beer Joint!

A new restaurant opened at the corner of Bay and 18th in that cursed location. My one word review follows - you ready?

One word:

YUM.

This place kicks 8oz' @$$! SRSLY. I'm entirely too full, and entirely too salted to really dissect the magic that appears to be happening there, but I'm happy it's 1) A hamburger place; 2) A bar; 3) A Lounge; 4) A pool bar; and 5) an ice cream shop, all within my reasonable-walking distance (not far.)

Drawbacks: A little loud.

They have a pretty robust beer menu, a decent selection of wines, though I wasn't thinking "Wine and a burger!" so I didn't even look... and their make-your-own burger section of the menu is expansive to the point of daunting. I didn't venture there, because I know it wouldn't be difficult to make myself a $30.00 hamburger, what with all the sauces and whatnot.

The thing I'm definitely going back for: The bucket of bacon appetizer.

The thing I'll get again when I'm there: The Fried Pickles - they, also, kick 8oz's @$$ - little puffy discs of fried pickles. Mmmmmm. The batter for the pickles and onion rings -- flavorful, light, battery - it's sort of perfection. And the fried pickles come with Ranch dressing. The onion rings come with jalapeno cheddar cheese.

My hamburger (actually a bacon cheddar burger) differed from those one eats at 8oz on two key elements: taste and juicyness. It beat 8oz hands down in both - I don't want to say it, but it MAY have beaten Joe Allen's hamburger, which I hold to be the best burger in Miami. But I'm not certain yet. I'll have to go back (WHICH I WILL!)

I had rivers of burgerness running down my arms - I stupidly went in a suit from work, so I basically had to undress and tuck to keep the beef off the Ralph Lauren, and the Ted Baker.

And the meat itself - extraordinary! Salty! Delicious! The beef CRUNCHED with salt crystals! (In a good way - like how sea salt fries crunch with salt...)

Speaking of Meat... there was a pretty steady stream of sexxxy bears cycling through... ahh, vestiges of Jade Lounge, which used to occupy the same space, and where I used to see Bill Kamal wearing his little lycra outfits. Mem'ries. (No, but seriously - find me a nice otter to date - we can have our first date and eat burgers, and then not hook up because we're too beer and burger loagy, and it's August. It'll be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.)

Anyhow - Look - the place isn't going to win any Michelin stars, but I went with low expectations, and they came in way over what I expected.

You should really try the place. But stagger yourselves. I don't want to have to wait for a table.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rootietoot said...

There's nothing more satisfying that a perfect burger, or a really hairy man. Honestly.
And fried pickles! My word. Fried pickles. Hard to do just right but SO GOOD when they are.

Congratulations on your new burger place.

8:55 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

A of all, too loud? Who are you, my grandparents? Get over yourself with the too loud.

B of all, bucket of bacon? Such a Jew! So proud that I watched you get Bar Mitzvah'd.

C of all, fried pickles sound delish.

If I come to Miami in Dec, can we go there?! I will skip the bucket of bacon. And you & I together will increase the noise level.

1:25 PM

 
Anonymous lauren said...

Wha?!? You didn't ask me to come with? Burgers are my fav-o-rite. Disappointed yo.

1:37 PM

 
Blogger SuperBee said...

RT - I agree, I agree, and I agree. ; )

The pickles here are really... just right on the money.

Adrienne:

A of all: It was LOUD, I couldn't hear myself talk! And it was too dark and the menu writing was too small.

B of all: I'm getting it next time. You'll see.

C of all: they are.

D of all: IF you come to MIA in December? What about "when" you come to Miami in December?

Lauren: I asked you out to dinner on Tuesday when I almost ran over you. You never texted back, yo.

2:34 PM

 
Blogger Danya said...

I've got to say that the place did not live up to your glowing review. The Thunder Road burger was fine, but nothing spectacular. Their BBQ sauce is TERRIBLE. But, the fried pickles are truly delicious, as is the dipping sauce that accompanied it. The kobe sliders tasted like they were from Wendy's. Overall, I think the best bet is to drink at the sports bar, order some snacks from the kitchen, and skip the beef!

6:21 AM

 
Blogger SuperBee said...

1) Welcome back. I've missed you.

2) I don't know what to say to this. I thought we were friends. I made you pork!

But seriously, I guess to each his own. I'm going back tonight. Srsly.

9:57 AM

 
Blogger Danya said...

That's the thing - your taste is impeccable (and your pork was so delicious) that I really had high expectations. I think if I had gone in with my usual low expectations I would be pleasantly surprised like you were. But I'm definitely going back to check out the macaroni and cheese and the onion rings!

3:36 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

A bucket of bacon? Oh Superbee, I miss you!

6:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home