I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thanks for S-ing the F-U. Also, Posters.

I expected to be jolted from an Ambien-induced slumber this morning around 6:40 by the sound of cowbells and cheering and clapping, for the runners of the ING Miami Marathon.

I was not.

I attribute this to one of two things: 1) my WhiteNoise app for my iPhone that I dutifully plug into my computer speakers every night, to muffle the sound of traffic, bums, and the bus that stops at a station directly in front of my bedroom slider... or 2) the fact that people weren't TOTAL JERKS this morning, and didn't stand on the corner of Purdy and 17th cheering and clapping for the Marathoners, while banging on pots with ladles. In the past, people have thought this apropos at 6:30 a.m. on a Sunday. I have always begged to differ.

It's probably No. 1. But whatever it is, I was grateful. Oh, sure, I woke up once or twice to see a thin stream of Marathoners running by my place, but I was in such a drug-induced fog it was like "Oh. They're running. And I don't hear clapping, yelling, and cowbells. And I can go back to sleep. Score."

And so by the time I dragged my sorry arse out of bed at 10:40, there was no evidence 21,000 people had run past my bedroom over the previous four hours; nary a traffic cone to be seen!

Wonderful!

So, to the people in my neighborhood, I say "Thank you. Thank you for either shutting up, or thank you for not managing to overpower a fan and a white noise machine."

To celebrate not having been woken up at an ungodly hour, I spent $1,800 on Art Deco Posters at the Antiques Fair at the Doubletree Convention Center by the Airport.

Whoops.

Here are my latest favorite mistakes... all from the 1920s and 1930s... Framingham's gonna be a bitch. (HA! Nonsensical Boston pun!) No, seriously. I'm mired in Buyer's Remorse. But they were posters I had wanted to buy a couple years ago, and were still in my Dealer's stock so... here goes:





4 Comments:

Blogger Eddie Suarez - Kpeste99 said...

Why not reach out to the marathon organizers to have them start the race at a more appropriate time and be more in tune with other marathons around the US? Miami's Marathon starts at a very early 6:15am. Other cities start as late as 9am! Meaning that the people out there supporting their friends, families, neighbors, and other human beings trying to tackle this distance won't wake you up on one of your yearly 52 Sundays.

5:49 AM

 
Blogger Rootietoot said...

I really like the second one! My taste leans more toward Art Nouveau than Deco, and $1800 on posters is only a dream for me, but don't have buyers remorse, you know you wanted them and now you have them!

We have runners and cyclers past our house alot...sometimes a race, sometimes just pretentious university professors in unfortunate spandex, but no pot bangers, only barking dogs.

4:34 AM

 
Blogger SuperBee said...

Eddie - Because I'm pretty sure 1) no one will listen to me; and 2) better to block off the streets at 6 a.m., than 10 a.m...

RT - The extra $800 was for the last one, which I don't love, but which was speaking to me, and which I had to have.

I LOVE the first one (it's far and away my favorite) and the first and second posters I almost bought a few years ago, when I bought my first round of posters, and when my dealer still had them, I took it as a sign from God that I had to buy them. And I could have lived with myself for spending the $1000 on them... but for some reason I cannot enunciate, I had to have the third one - I think because I had never seen one like it before - it seems like something that shouldn't have survived... but did.

I like Art Noveau also - there were a couple prints from the 1890s I really considered that were for mountainous regions and chalet hotels... but they fit better in Oak Park, IL, than Miami.

I was complaining because the Marathon goes literally right past my window, and usually there are people clapping and yelling to the runners on the corner for hours as the runners go by. At 6 a.m.

8:02 PM

 
Blogger Rootietoot said...

Ilike the 3rd one, after looking closer at it. Event posters are cool. I just bought 3 vintage drag race event posters from the 1960's- those ones of Joe Fontana rtying to flip his vintage Studebaker...that kind of thing. Probably not your speed and I surely didn't pay $1800 for them :) They were $4 each from Ebay...

7:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home