I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

At the risk of sounding like a spoiled brat...


At the risk of sounding like a spoiled brat...

A "childhood" memory I miss... is the family trips to Europe. I'm starting to realize how much of the world I've seen (and at the same time, haven't seen) as the more I see pictures of sights in Europe or North and Central America, the more I look at them and say, "Oh. I've been there."

What triggered my nostaliga, I guess, is that twice in the last week, I saw pictures of famous French chateaux, and exclaimed, "Hey! I've been there!"

The other day, a Paralegal in my office changed her screen saver to Chateaux Chambord, in the Loire Valley. I walked by and was like, "Oh, have you ever been there?!" just... assuming this secretary would be like, "Yeah!"

She looked at me with googly eyes, and said, "No! Have you?!"

And I was like "Yeah...don't most people have picures of themselves on the top of one of those Chimneys?" (In my head.) I actually said, "Oh. Yeah. Once."

I was really lucky that my parents thought travel was important for my little brother and me. I was also REALLY lucky that we could take free military flights to Europe, and bounce around the continent for the same price as it would cost to rent a house on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

I was checking the Washington Post just now, and I ran across the above picture of Chenonceaux, a Chateaux on a river in the Loire Valley. And again, I was like, "Hey! That's the place that I almost got bit by an Angry French goose!" Because...you know. I pissed off a goose. There. Once.

And given my lack of travel lately, I'm getting REALLY nostalgic for it

[Brief aside, what is up with that fucking Snickers' crappy song guy in the Snickers commercials?! He's making me HATE SNICKERS BARS!]

I miss going places with my parents! There's talk of going to Prague for Thanksgiving... I have my fingers crossed. Because...I LOVE Prague!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rootietoot said...

Happy peanuts soar over mountaintops, and waterfalls of...caaraaameeel...prancing nouget in the meadow sings a song of satisfaction...toooo the wooorrrld...
I want to eviscerate (metaphorically, of course) the person who came up with that.

AS for travel- as long as you recognize how fortunate you were (and still are), you'll be ok. If you start feeling entitled, so do a month in India.

4:01 AM

 
Blogger SuperBee said...

India is the next place on my wish list! :)

I've done South Korea...time for some Indian Subcontinent to satisfy my Asia fix...

5:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

india would be cool, but if you want to do asia, why not japan? i've always wanted to go to tokyo and the countryside around there. i did south korea too. my father was in the army and we lived in seoul for 2 years (and did all of our commissary shopping and stuff on youngsan (spelling??)). my family and i are going to vietnam around xmas. i am excited. as far as europe goes, for some reason everytime i get to travel, i always go to italy. i need to break that cycle so i can to some other places--like prague. i've always wanted to go. man, i need to travel more. i miss getting my passport stamped...it's been awhile, which is why i am looking forward to xmas.

12:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home