I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Monday, November 13, 2006

I wish there was money in what I love...

So, I'm reading a piece in the Washington Post this morning about a Sittow Diptych exhibit currently at the National Gallery of Art (planning activities for my trip home...) and I got goosebumps from reading about medieval Flemish portraiture.

The names Jan van Eyck, Rogier van der Weyden, Hans Memling... these names inspire goosebumps from me? Reading about the Arnolfini Wedding inspires goosebumps in me? Lame.

Lame, but oh well. I just wish there was money to be had in studying things. I'd want to be an archaeologist, or an anthropolgist, or an art historian or an art restoration expert or any one of the other occupations where there's a tangible link and study of history. Except that people that do those things are poor. And I don't want to be poor.

I wish I loved finance. Or "mergers and acquisitions" or Hedge-Fund management. But I don't. Those things are boring as hell to me. Even law is getting boring -- the transactional parts, anyway.

Know what I really want to do? Watch TV. Or Coallate and staple things. Or make Sno-Cones. Or count people getting off subways. Or photograph food. Or have Samantha Brown's job, travelling around checking out hotels. Or analyze medieval oil-on-panel paintings with a microscope to glean anthropological and cultural details.

Oh well. Back to drafting documents to finance a land and construction loan...

And as a side note -- hey Blogger -- what, exactly, is it about my blog that makes it seem like a Spam Blog to you? Take the damn word verification off for me to post.

Thanks, bitches.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rootietoot said...

ooh Dutch Renaissance art does it to me every time. It's not lame to appreciate something as finely crafted as good art. David Hockney? Phhoooey. I want art that looks like it actually happened. Even Bosch looks like it could happen.

SO make alotta money as a lawyer and buy yourself good art, or endow a restoration or something.

10:29 AM

 
Blogger SuperBee said...

I love Bosch. He's hanging in my room. The Garden of Earthly Delights is one of my favorite paintings.

I don't, however, think that I will ever have enough money to buy Memlings and ver Meers and van Eycks and Brughels...

11:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I love Bruegel (The Elder). Those elongated skeletons in his works are incredible -- especially in The Triumph of Death. Creepy and eerie, I know, but I like it.

6:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home