I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Cada dia me pongo un poquito mas Cubano...

I'm noticing that I'm turning, little by little... Cuban.

No me sorpresa, I mean, I work in an office en donde I'm the only Gringo, but everything, from the way I think, to the way I hear myself speak, to what I eat, to what I'm listening to...

I'm starting to see a change.

And I suppose it's not an awful thing, but when I'm shopping for old Perez Prado songs... it gives one pause.

I hear it when I speak to my secretary, "Oye, what's going on with..." or how she'll ask me something and I spit back an answer back in Spanish... or how my boss will come up to me and say something like, "Oye, with the XXX case, call opposing counsel y preguntarle si we can work something out, o algo asi."

I order churrasco de pollo or chiccarones de pollo for lunch, and I like my Gallo Pinto. If I weren't dieting, I'd be eating vaca frita or carne con papa.

I guess I'm assimilating little by little into the dominant culture, but I'm actually getting nervous that the "Miami Accent" is creeping, little by little into my speech.

So. If you hear my starting to clip my "l" sounds or elongate my "a" sounds (in a way that's not Wisconsiny, because I've retained that, unfortunately) or if I'm saying, "COOOONO!" too often, please let me know.

Gracias.

3 Comments:

Blogger JB said...

Pongo = turning? I always thought it meant to put, from poner. Then again, it seems like spanish words always mean 3 or 4 different things. Kind of ironic, seeing as though every street in Miami has 3 different names.

What I always found most annoying about the miami accent/spanglish was the kids with the "accent" but no grasp of the actual language. I can't say that I miss that.

10:40 PM

 
Blogger Rootietoot said...

so, you wearin' a guarrabarra...guayabarra...whatever? Smokin cohibas (stinky thangs)? Does your car have sparkeldy paint?

11:12 AM

 
Blogger some guy said...

too bad you're on that diet. you could eat that nasty, bland white bread that comes with every cuban meal.

3:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home