I'm a little slow today. I just switched to Sanka. So...have a heart?

Monday, November 06, 2006

How do you think people come back in Heaven?

How do you think your loved ones look when they're in Heaven?

I don't want to die, and, assuming that an afterlife actually exists, float up to find my grandmother as a 22 year old. I want my grandmother to be a sprightly 73 year old woman, and I want my grandfather to be a spry 80 year old man. But also not the husks that we bunged into Shara Tfilo cemetery...

I want them to be healthy and active, but still my grandmother and my grandfather. I don't want to go drinking with them. I want to be 10, and I want them to be old. I want my grandmother to cut bananas on my Rice Krispies, and give me hard candies and Jell-o with Cool Whip, and I want my grandfather to be old and bald and bring me crap from the Thrift Store. I want to watch Nickelodeon in their back room, and I want to go to sleep on cold, clean-smelling sheets on a folding twin-bed under a Cuckoo Clock, near my grandmother's sewing machine and chair where the cushion lifted off to reveal an entire seat's worth of thread.

After I die, that's what I hope it's like. I want it to be July, 1990 again, and I want to know that the next day, we're going to take the T into Boston, and bring popcorn to Boston Common, and feed the birds after we ride the swanboats.

That's what I want.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rootietoot said...

I had a wonderful pastor many years go, who always knew the right thing to say. My then 7-yr old asked him if we'd recognize our families when we got to heaven. He was told that, yes, and they'd look just like we wanted them to look. He also said that if we were happiest with dogs and cats, that they'd be there too. Heaven was, essentially, the Best of Everything.
So I am guessing you'll get Grandparents and jello with cool-whip and cuckoo clocks.

I'm hoping for sagebrush and chaparral and a seed cap, and watching my Grandfather tear across the rim of the canyon on the back of his mean-spirited palomino.

4:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need anything when I die. Just some sunshine...and a bj...from Rachael McAdams.

8:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

er, and maybe some proofreading lessons.

8:41 AM

 
Blogger Rootietoot said...

When I was a little kid I wanted heaven to be a Dunkin Doughnuts shop where everything was free.

11:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home